Prohibitions and restrictions
In spite of certain reliefs in the clearance of goods in the travellers’ personal baggage you may not carry with you all goods and products in passenger traffic without any limitations.
The importation and exportation of certain goods is restricted and possible only under certain conditions (e.g. previous permission); for some products even absolute import and export prohibitions apply.
Due to its key position at the external border of the European Community, the customs administration has been charged with the control of these import and export restrictions. First of all, these restrictions serve the protection of
- the population,
- the environment,
- the fauna and flora and
- the international security.
For private imports, prohibitions and restrictions are especially applicable in the following fields:
- firearms and ammunition (weapons of riflemen, hunting weapons, prohibited items)
- literature of unconstitutional content
- dangerous dogs (fighting dogs)
- protection against animal diseases (pets, products made from animals)
- protection of endangered species
- sanitary protection of plants (e.g. potatoes)
- counterfeit goods (product piracy)
For the private exportation of goods you will have to consider, first of all, restrictions as to the introduction of cultural properties from Germany into countries outside the European Community.
Please, do not forget that there are prohibitions and restrictions to be considered
even for taking goods within the European Community.
By controlling the above mentioned import and export prohibitions, Customs contributes to the protection of consumer and environment.